Monday, November 28, 2005

POKER!!!

So yesterday, I played Texas Hold 'Em for the first time in my life. Although I used to scoff at the game that was "all luck", I did a 180 and became super intrigued with it after the 2005 World Poker Tourney on ESPN. I bought in for 10 bucks and was given a cheat sheet so I could figure out which hands beat each other. (hmm did they just assume I needed it because I was a girl?) Anyway, who knew there were so many possibilities!? I used to think that a pair was a good hand! Well apparently it is the BOTTOM of the totem pole and there are SO MANY combinations that beat even a pair of aces! It is a wonder that anyone would ever go all in on just a pair. So I started playing, did pretty well, got offended when someone peeped at the hand that I folded (cheaters!).... then I got a pretty good hand - jack hearts, king! So I called on all the bets and even raised. Then with the flop, I had a king pair, and the other 2 were both hearts! Then I got 2 more hearts with the turn and the river!! I had a flush with Jack high! What would Cantor have done?! So I went all in. I mean these guys at the final table were betting millions on just a pocket pair! and I had a effing FLUSH! So what happened?? Did I win? Of course not. Do I ever? John had the SAME flush with KING high. DOH! Well.... I am going to take notes and master this game.... so who knows, maybe you'll see me at the 2011 WORLD POKER TOURNAMENT!

No comments: